A further boundary extension was granted in 1951 when Clifton and Wilford (south of the River Trent) were incorporated into the city.
In the sporting world, Nottingham is home to the world's oldest professional football club, Notts County, which was formed in 1862.
The Castle and Shire Hall were expressly excluded and remained as detached Parishes of Nottinghamshire.
Nottingham City Council is a unitary authority based at Nottingham Council House in Old Market Square.
It consists of 55 councillors, representing 20 wards, who are elected every four years; the last elections being held on .
It was besieged by Richard and, after a sharp conflict, was captured.
giving it effective self-government, in the words of the charter, "for eternity".
A short length of the wall survives, and is visible at the northern end of Maid Marian Way, and is protected as a Scheduled Monument.
On the return of Richard the Lionheart from the Crusades, the castle was occupied by supporters of Prince John, including the Sheriff of Nottingham.The Anglo-Saxon settlement was originally confined to the area today known as the Lace Market and was surrounded by a substantial defensive ditch and rampart, which fell out of use following the Norman Conquest and was filled by the time of the Domesday Survey (1086).Following the Norman Conquest the Saxon settlement developed into the English Borough of Nottingham and housed a Town Hall and Law Courts.It was expanded in 1877 by adding the parishes of Basford, Brewhouse Yard, Bulwell, Radford, Sneinton, Standard Hill, and parts of the parishes of West Bridgford, Carlton, Wilford (North Wilford).In 1889 Nottingham became a county borough under the Local Government Act 1888.The National Ice Centre, Holme Pierrepont National Watersports Centre, and Trent Bridge international cricket ground are all based in or around the city, which is also the home of two professional league football teams; the world's oldest professional league club Notts County, and Nottingham Forest, famously two-time winners of the UEFA European Cup under Brian Clough in 19.